Monday, October 02, 2006

Telescopic Pastry Caper

Woof and hello!

Sometimes, when the Wubbington's go away for a few days and I can't join them, I'll stay with the Dunlows. Beatrice and Gary Dunlow are old friends of the Wubingtons. I love going to their house because Gary is a serious griller and makes the best Portobello burgers. They have a cute daughter, Millie, who always knows just where to scratch my butt, and they also have a friendly pot-bellied pig named Gretchen. The Dunlow ladies love me.

Anyway, last Sunday I was looking around town with Bernie's telescope when I saw the Dunlow's house. Beatrice had baked a pie and put it in her windowsill to cool. And I also noticed that Gary was doing laps around the house, trying to find the right moment to scarf down the pie without Beatrice noticing. I just knew he would blame Gretchen for eating the pie. Gary has a sweet tooth. I had to save that pie, and Gretchen's reputation.

Beatrice works from her home office, and I remembered that whenever she gets emails her computer goes, "DING!" So I kicked Bernie off of our computer and quickly sent her an email, hoping that it would "Ding!" and get her attention.

The message I wrote said, "Bea, Gary will eat pie soon! Slobberingly yours, Chowder"

I ran back to the telescope to see if my plan had worked. Just as Gary was about to dive into the pie his ears perked up. He must have heard the "Ding!" He ran up to the computer, saw that there was an email from me with the subject line "Pastry Emergency!" and read the email before Beatrice even knew what had happened. The next thing I saw was his face in the window, hovering over the pie, and smiling greedily in my direction. He scooped up the pie and disappeared with it. I had failed.

I never like to let down a pie, so later that day I was still feeling pretty sad when our doorbell rang. Madge opened the door and there was Gary! He said hello to the Wubbingtons, quickly walked over to me, and from behind his back revealed a huge pie plate with half of Strawberry Rhubarb pie in it! It was the best pie I'd ever eaten.

Why did Gary do that? And why there was only HALF of the pie in that pie plate? People can be so confusing sometimes.

Slobberingly yours,
Chowder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home